Wire Transfer and Bank Draft Payment Instructions
Occasionally, a vendor may require payment through a method other than a check. These methods include wire transfers and bank drafts. These types of payments are often used when paying foreign vendors.
- A Wire Transfer is an electronic transfer of funds from UCD bank account to the bank account of the vendor. Funds being wired can be US Dollars or foreign currency to either a U.S. or Foreign Bank. Nothing is mailed from AP.
- A Bank Draft is a check drawn on a foreign bank in a foreign currency and mailed from AP.
For both Wire Transfers
and Bank Drafts
- Payment Group Code 9 should be entered on the applicable DaFIS Accounts Payable document.
- Mark the Non-check indicator on the DaFIS document Yes
- Add a note to the DaFIS document indicating how much money is to be sent, in what currency, and whether the payment is to be made by wire transfer or bank draft
- If the vendor is requesting a fee, and the department would like to accept the fee, please add the fee to the total amount billed on the invoice, with the new total to be paid written on the invoice.
For a Wire Transfer, the following information is required:
Beneficiary Information Required:
- Beneficiary’s account name
- Beneficiary’s address
- Beneficiary’s account number
(International Bank Account Number (IBAN) account number required for European wire)
- Amount of wire and type of currency (i.e. US or Foreign)
Bank Information Required:
- Complete name of the bank (i.e. BANK OF AMERICA not BOFA)
- Complete address of bank branch
- Society for Worldwide Interbank Financial Telecommunications (SWIFT) address or American Bankers Association (ABA) Number
The above banking information is required
on each invoice being paid, either:
- on the actual physical invoice; or
- on a separate sheet attached to the invoice.
Note: For security purposes, the banking information should not
be included on the actual DaFIS document, or in the Notes
section. Faxing into MyTravel is also not recommended, though it can be faxed to Accounts Payable - Travel at (530) 757-8561. Alternatively, you could mail the banking information to Accounts Payable - Travel; provide it on a separate sheet and attach it to the document being sent to AP for approval.
FYI: The computer system used for doing the foreign transfer of funds is separate from DaFIS, which means it is very important that the information is on or attached to each payment request.
For a Bank Draft, the following information is needed:
- Payee's complete name
- Payee's complete address
- Amount of foreign currency to be sent (i.e., 100 Euros)
The above information can be included in a DaFIS document note.
AP has the ability to send Bank Drafts to all major countries and currencies, and many smaller countries as well.