Adjusting the Payment Amount on a DaFIS Vendor Invoice
For more information on the DaFIS AP Vendor Invoice, see the online reference manual.
- In general, it is not possible to add new items to a VI that were not included on the original purchasing document, with the general exception of freight and handling. If you receive extra items that were not cited on the original DaFIS purchasing document:
- If a non-taxable commodity was used by mistake, and the item is taxable, it is not possible to calculate tax on the VI. When paying a VI where taxes were not calculated, add the taxes to the Unit Price field on the item line. You will also want to notify the individual that processed the DPO that the incorrect commodity code was used. When selecting a commodity code on your purchasing documents, it is important to remember that most items your department purchases will be taxable. A non-taxable commodity should only be selected if you are sure that the item will not be taxed. If you purchase items online and/or from out-of-state and the vendor doesn't bill taxes, your department is still required to pay taxes directly to the State of California. Use a taxable commodity on the purchasing document; on the VI, change the What type of tax did the vendor bill on this invoice? field to None.
- When paying against a Purchase Order (PO), you cannot adjust the Unit Price field. However, you can make some adjustments without processing a Change Purchase Order/Business Agreement. Please note that dollar changes exceeding $100 over the original total of the Purchase Order cannot be made on the VI, but must be processed on a Change Purchase Order/Business Agreement document.
- Start by adjusting the Invoice Quantity percentage first - using up to 2 decimal places. For example, if the billed amount works out to 87.25% of the PO's Unit Price, enter .87 in the Invoice Quantity field.
- Once you have this amount as close as you can get it, insert a new item line on your VI and use the one of the adjustment commodity codes. To locate the adjustment commodity codes, double-click on the Commodity Code field. On the Commodity Lookup screen, type ADJUST and the ·* wildcard in the commodity code field, then click Search.
- After selecting an appropriate adjustment commodity code, enter the dollar amount that will make your DaFIS VI match the invoice from the vendor. Note: If using a credit adjustment commodity code, the dollar amount must be entered with a minus sign (-) in front.
- Click on the More (pink arrow) button at the end of the item line and enter the account that should be charged. Note: Only an account(s) specified on the purchasing document may be used. To get a list of all accounts used on the order, click on the Acct button on the Item Information screen.
- Note: It is not necessary to use adjustment commodity codes when paying against a Departmental Purchase Order (DPO). When you are making payments on a DPO, you can simply adjust the Unit Price and Quantity fields on the existing item line(s) to get the correct total amount.